CIVINET Slovenia - Croatia - SEE Network for Sustainable Urban Mobility
CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia was established in 2013 as a network of cities and other stakeholders from two neighbouring countries that deal with sustainable mobility planning and traffic management. The objective of the network is knowledge sharing and good practice exchange as well as implementation of partner projects which are meant to finance future sustainable mobility activities. We are proud to have 98 members as of June 2016, which makes us the most numerous network. Having in mind that we are countries with small population, we consider this as a huge success.
Networking and all forms of cooperation are welcome for more effective solving of urban traffic and mobility problems - from the exchange of experience, knowledge and ideas to joint participation and synergy of the cities, thus enabling better usage of EU funds. Besides members from Slovenia and Croatia, we are attracting also cities and other stakeholders from the region of South East Europe. In order to enhance conditions for sustainable development that contributes to the prosperity and a better future for our cities, states and regions, during the 3rd Assembley held in February 2016, the name of the network was changed to CIVINET Slovenia - Croatia - South East Europe (SEE).
Local authorities and other CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia-SEE partners express their commitment to strengthening the exchange of knowledge, information and experience gained within the CIVITAS initiative with other members of the Network. They also commit to supporting the dissemination of information on the activities, achievements and results of the CIVITAS initiative and the CIVITAS Slovenia-Croatia-SEE network to other towns and cities in both countries and in the region. Therefore, a number of events and study tours have been organised.
Vlado Babić from the City of Ljubljana is the Network Regional Manager, while REC Slovenia and ODRAZ-Sustainable Community development act as Slovenian and Croatian Secretariat of the Network.
CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia-SEE currently comprises 98 members: 39 from Slovenia, 38 from Croatia and 21 members from Bulgaria, Bosnia&Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia. Almost half of the members are cities (14 Slovenian, 18 Croatian, one from Montenegro, one from B&H and three from Serbia), others are important sustainable mobility stakeholders: civil society organisations, public transport providers, institutes, faculties, ministries, etc. Since the Assembly in 2015, individual expert can be members, as well.
CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia-SEE is, like other similar networks, supported by the European Commission through CIVITAS CAPITAL project. Transport & Travel Research Ltd signed the subcontract with the City of Ljubljana, REC Slovenia and ODRAZ on September 1, 2013. The project will be managed by the City of Ljubljana till September 2016, after which the Croatian City of Rijeka will take over that role.
Through fundraising activities, ODRAZ succeeded in getting some additional funds from Croatian Fund for Environmental Protection and Energy Efficiency as well as a small grant from Zagreb City Office for energetics, environmental protection and sustainable development.
The Network's management bodies:
- General Assembly
- Political Committee
- Management Committee
Overview of some CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia activities:
- CIVINET meeting was held during the conference "Cycling in Central and Eastern Europe", organised in Ljubljana from 15 to16 October 2013 by Slovenian Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe (REC); Meeting of CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia was organised to enable members to share experiences and to increase cooperation between Croatian and Slovenian cities
- Experience of CIVITAS ELAN, Study visit to Zagreb and Ljubljana was held from 21-23 October 2013; CIVINET members, partners in CIVITAS ELAN organised with EUROCITIES a study visit for a dozen city representatives from Bulgaria, Albania, Romania and Italy, interested in the experience of Zagreb and Ljubljana gained by participating in CIVITAS ELAN project
- Sustainable mobility? How does that work in Ljutomer, Murska Sobota, Cakovec and Koprivnica!; CIVINET members participated from April 9 to 10, 2014 at interesting study visit to several Slovenian and Croatian cities. They had the opportunity to learn more about the activities directed towards sustainable mobility in these cities.
- CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia network, with a special emphasis on SUMP implementation plans, was presented at EU funded PUMAS Annual conference on Cross-border SUMPs, Nova Gorica, Slovenia, June 4, 2014
- CIVINET and its member, Department for urban traffic Faculty of Traffic Sciences in Zagreb, held an interesting and very useful round table in June 13, 2014 on sustainable urban mobility plans (SUMP), during which participants had the opportunity to hear about the experiences of experts who deal with this important issue.
- A workshop “Safe areas around schools” was organized in the City of Koprivnica, in scope of CIVITAS CAPITAL Activity fund, for the Municipality of Niksic, Montenegro on 17 -18 July 2014. Niksic Municipality joined the network soon afterwards.
- The network is presented, as well as projects CIVITAS MOBILIS and CIVITAS ELAN, at "Belgrade – Being Inspired" workshop, held on September 19, 2014 in Belgrade. The event was funded through CIVITAS Activity Fund. Great interest from partners in Belgrade and Serbia to join CIVINET Slovenia & Croatia Network has been expressed.
- CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia members actively participated at CIVITAS FORUM 2014, that was held in Casablanca; network coordinator and representative of Croatian Secretariat, as well as representative of town of Koprivnica, attended whole-day meeting of all CIVINET networks on 23 September 2014; several members from both countries participated as presenters or moderators at the technical sessions.
- On October 7, 2014, CIVINET Slovenia & Croatia Network, together with the City of Maribor and the Energy Agency for Podravje region, organised a Conference on sustainable mobility named "From Theory to Practice – Taking a High-way or Walking" in Maribor. A wide range of good practices from Slovenia, Croatia, Austria and Spain was presented.
- On October 20, 2014, the CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia network and the City of Zagreb organized a “BOB - Bike on Bus” workshop. This project has been financed within the first CIVITAS Activity Fund
- On November 4, 2014, CIVINET Slovenia & Croatia Network's Workshop on Introducing and Developing SUMP's in Slovenia, Croatia and Neighbouring Countries was organized in Zagreb, followed by the second MC meeting. The workshop was a success for more than fifty participants - representatives of the cities and relevant institutions from Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia and Austria. They had a chance to hear more about research, planning and implementation of various sustainable urban mobility activities, as well as SUMP methodology in designated countries/cities (e.g. Austrian Graz and Judenburg, Slovenian capital Ljubljana and some smaller towns, Novi Sad from Serbia and Croatian cities Zagreb and Koprivnica).
- General Assembly was held in Croatian town of Rijeka on February 20, 2015. Some changes in the Statute were adopted and the 2015 Statement was issued by the Political Committee. Three good urban mobility examples from Rijeka were presented (Rijeka's promenades, BikeRijeka and new environmentally friendly public transport fleet). Examples of bike projects and bike transport challenges were also presented by colleagues from Slovenia, as well as project on counselling for personal mobility. Representative of City of Koprivnica presented newly established SUMP Competence Centre for South Eastern Europe. After the event, more than 50 participant from Slovenia and Croatia, as well as from other SEE countries had a chance to ride the busses on natural gas and walk along the part of promenade.
- Representatives of the Network participated at CIVINET event in EU Parliament on 13 April, 2015, as well as at meeting at DG MOVE
- Study tour to energy self-sufficient Slovenian municipality Sentrupert was organised on 5 May 2015
- Study visit on best mobility and mobility management practices in Zürich and Luzern - On May 12 and 13, 2015 CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia organised an interesting study visit on the best practices of sustainable mobility in Zürich and Luzern, joined by CIVINET Czech and Slovak Republics. Altogether 17 participants from three countries participated in this very interested and inspiring visit. We have learned the information on Swiss railway system and Zürich Main Railway Station and visited Sihlcity shopping centre characterized by careful limitations to its attractiveness for private car based shopping and well-thought design of alternative transport accessibility and delivery of purchased goods. On the walking tour in the city, the participants learned about calmed traffic and car free and car parking free residential areas. Transport policies and mobility measures were explained by two mobility experts, e.g. master plan Stadtverkehr 2025.
- Conference on improving cycling conditions in Ljubljana, 21-22 May 2015 in Ljubljana, organised by CIVINET, Ljubljana cycling network, REC Slovenia and Kombinat arhitekti
- Participation at the meeting of all CIVINET networks in Szeged, Hungary, 28 May 2015. Our network was represented by Vlado Babic, network coordinator and Andrej Klemenc from Slovenian Secretariat
- Seminar "Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans-SUMP" in Koprivnica, 11 June 2015, organised by CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia, European platform for sustainable urban mobility plans, project CIVITAS DYN@MO and the JASPERS (Joint Assistance to Support Projects in European Regions). Our network was represented by Vlado Babic, network coordinator and three representatives of Croatian Secretariat
- Two-day seminar/ workshop on “Cycling is smart – smart cities can make it even smarter” in Koper, Slovenia, 15/16 Sep 2015
- Public presentation of CIVINET and 2015 Award Photo competition on the theme: “Movement through my city"”, Zagreb, Croatia, 21 Sep 2015
- One-day study tour to Ljubljana on pedestrian zone in the city centre, on city logistics and extension of bus lines into suburbia, Ljubljana City Hall, Banquet Hall. Guided bicycle study tour follows,6 Oct 2015
- CIVITAS Forum in Ljubljana, 7 and 9 October, 2015 - meeting of all CIVINET networks, meeting with European Commissioner for Transport, Mrs. Violeta Bulc, workshop on urban cycling network and project SAVA BIKE
- Workshop on cyclotourisam held in October 2015 in Zagreb, organised in cooperation with Danube cycling project
- Conference “Towards a Humane city” – Urban transport 2030 – Mastering Change, Novi Sad Serbia; Prof Janez Koželj, Vice-mayor of Ljubljana and head of CIVINET’s Slovenia & Croatia Political Committee, as a key-note speaker presented Ljubljana’s sustainable mobility transformation; Vlado Babić, member of the Conference’s Programme board, had a presentation on CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia and its impact on several other SEE countries, 5/6 Nov 2015
- New CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia website launched in November 2015: www.civinet-slohr.eu
- CIVINET Slovenia - Croatia 3rd General Assembly, Nova Gorica, Slovenia,10 Feb 2016, decided to change the name of the Network to CIVINET-Slovenia-South East Europe, as we have a number of towns and other mobility atakeholders from the region; the opportunity was used to hear the good practice from host town Nova Gorica and its fruitfull cooperation with Gorizia in Italy in the field of sustainable mobility
- 2 days Study tour to Graz, Austria, together with CIVINET Deutscher Sprachraum and Magyar CIVINET, 29 Feb & 1 March 2016
- Presentation of CIVINET to the Board of Association of Croatian towns; more than 40 representatives of Croatian towns were informed about out network and acctivities, 9 March 2016
- Workshop “Pedestrians and cyclists – how to get along in the city centre?”, Zagreb, Croatia, organised by CIVINET and its members (ODRAZ, Cyclist Union), 23 March 2016; more than 40 participants were listening the panelist from Croatia and Slovenia, many were actively engaged in discussion during and after formal programme; interest of media was raised for the event (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAguna6dBVM and https://www.facebook.com/zagrebackapanorama/videos/874991062627481/)
- Ljubljana as member of CIVINET and the Green capital of Europe 2016 and its sustainable mobility solutions were presented to 10 Serbian towns, during the workshop in Kruševac, April 7, 2016 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwV8XhZJxxM)
- Recent Network coordinator from City of Ljubljana and future coordinator from City of Rijeka participated at meeting of CIVINET Networks, Olomouc, 26 April 2016
- Workshop and round table on co-modality of public (railway passengers) transport and cycling to improve commuting to urban centres and sustainable tourism; Borovnica (Slovenia), 11 May 2016
- Presentation of CIVINET network by coordinator V. Babić during the workshop "Green corridor - Connecting EU and Balkans", held in EU Representation in Zagreb, 23 May 2016
- Seminar and workshop on cycling and health was organised by Regional Environmental Center in cooperation with the Slovenian cycling network, CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia-SEE and the municipality of Kranj, 23 May 2016
- CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia-SEE FORUM on Transport and Global Sustainable Development Goals, combined with a kick-of meeting dedicated to transfer of Network's coordination role from Ljubljana to Rijeka was held in zagreb on 3 June 2016; Some 70 participants from Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia&Herzegovina and Serbia, representing towns, NGOs, institutes, schools, faculties and companies had a chance to hear about sucessful town projects related to sustainable urban mobility, but also those of NGOs, schools and businesses. Fruitfull discussion was developed around global sustainable goals, in specific goal No. 11 - Sustainable towns and communities
- Workshop on implementation of the new Regulation on the construction of cycling infrastructure, Koprivnica, Croatia, June 2016
- Marking of EMW 2016, September 2016
- Participation at CIVINET Forum 2016, , September 2016
- Workshop on fright delivery to the centre, Maribor, November 2016
CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia-SEE E-news
- Dissemination through E-news bulletin, both in Croatian and Slovenian language
- E-news No. 1 - December 2013 to 197 recipients
- E-news No. 2 to No.6 in 2014
- E-news No. 1 to11 / 2015
- E-news No. 1 to 9 / 2016
- No. of recepients in Croatia and the region - 291, including 58 journalists; No. of recepients in Slovenia 247, including 29 journalists
CIVINET Slovenia-Croatia-SEE web and Facebook sites
https://www.facebook.com/CIVINET.Slo.Hr.JIE/?ref=hl with more than 1.500 fans
Other dissemination activities
- Koprivnica and Ljubljana are included in the CAPITAL‘s catalogue of pioneer cities, willing to share their experiences
- Updating CIVITAS.EU Web page on CIVINET Slovenia - Croatia - SEE network is ongoing. In order to spread information in Slovenian and Croatian languages, the network own web site is developed http://civinet-slohr.eu/.