Europe's highest award for clean urban transport
The CIVITAS Awards are an opportunity to highlight the most ambitious, innovative and successful efforts in the field of sustainable urban mobility. Winners are showcased as examples of excellence before the press with the hope that they can guide and stimulate cities throughout Europe in the pursuit of sustainable mobility.
Every year, applications of the CIVITAS Forum member cities are being invited in the following three categories:
- Technical Innovation;
- Public Participation; and
- The CIVITAS City of the Year.
Award-winning activities are showcased as examples of excellence and promoted to the press, inspiring other cities for the further development of sustainable mobility initiatives in Europe.
In addition, the winning cities of each category benefit from the following:
- Formal acknowledgement letter signed by the European Commission, recognising the city’s commitment to the objective of a cleaner and more sustainable public transport in Europe;
- Visibility on the CIVITAS website and promotional material;
- Pan-European media coverage;
- Invitation to conferences and workshops organised by DG MOVE on sustainable mobility
Rules and procedures
- The CIVITAS Award is open to all cities that have signed the CIVITAS declaration and are a member of the CIVITAS Forum Network. If your city is not a Forum member yet, please complete and sign the CIVITAS Forum Declaration
- Winners from CIVITAS Awards 2012 are not eligible in the 2013 contest.
- Demonstration cities of CIVITAS I, II, PLUS and PLUS II are eligible to apply for two awards.
- Non-demonstration cities are eligible to apply for one award.
- Each city can submit maximum one application per category.
- Applications are collected and forwarded to the CIVITAS Award Jury for evaluation and voting. The CIVITAS Secretariat supports the Jury by abstracting applications. Jury Member will also provide an adequate justification of their decision.
- Decisions are reached around three weeks prior to the Awards ceremony. Winners are informed with enough lead time to allow them to prepare a short acceptance speech (and a film or a presentation) for the Awards ceremony. The media are informed with a press release which is embargoed until the day of the ceremony.
- The CIVITAS Awards ceremony 2013 will be hold during the official closing session of the CIVITAS Forum Conference 2013 in Brest, on the 2nd of October 2013. Winners (and jury members when available) may be requested for interviews after the ceremony.
- The deadline for submitting application(s) is the 9th of August 2013.
Read more about the AWARDS 2013.
Explore past winners here.
For inquiries please contact Chiara Frencia, at firstname.lastname@example.org.