Finding new ways to get around the city, including car pooling, car sharing, cycling and walking.
The dependency on the private car needs to be reduced if cities are to achieve cleaner and better transport. This topic looks at measures which seek to make more sustainable use of the car through car pooling and car sharing, and through the use of non-motorised modes (cycling and walking).
The group exchanges through email groups on specific topics of relevance to creating car-independent lifestyles: from discussing the input to events to questions about measures implemented in CIVITAS cities. This group is open to representatives from CIVITAS Forum cities who are working on measures encouraging the citizens in their cities to opt for less car-dependent lifestyles. Members of the group exchange with their peers in the successful implementation, evaluation and dissemination of their measures.
For more information on less car-dependent lifestyles contact Chiara Frencia, and to join the group, click on the banner on the right-hand side on this page. Take a look at the cities, which are already members of this thematic group, and view resources relevant to members below.
- CIVITAS measures on Less Car Intensive Lifestyles (en)
- Cluster Report Alternative Car Use (en)
- Cluster Report Cycling and Walking (en)
- Policy Advice Note Alternative Car Use (en, bg, de, es, fr, it, pl, ro)
- Policy Advice Note Cycling and Walking (en, bg, de, es, fr, it, pl, ro)
- CITY-2-CITY EXCHANGE: Advantages of Car-Sharing for a city (en)
- CITY-2-CITY EXCHANGE: Car-Sharing in Genoa (it)
- CITY-2-CITY EXCHANGE: Car-Sharing in Göteborg (en)
- CITY-2-CITY EXCHANGE: Bike-Sharing in Bucharest (en, ro)
- CITY-2-CITY EXCHANGE: Public bicycle renting system in Krakow (en)
- CITY-2-CITY EXCHANGE: What can bikes do for cities and people (en)
- CITY-2-CITY EXCHANGE: Urban bicycle traffic in Odense (en)
- Presentation of Car-Sharing in Rome (en)
- CiViTAS thematic video on: Less Car Dependent Lifestyle
For more information on less car-dependent lifestyles contact Chiara Frencia.
Find here a full list of measures related to car-independent lifestyle.